Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trepanation

According to wikipedia "Trepanning, is a medical intervention in which a hole is drilled or scraped into the human skull, exposing the dura mater in order to treat health problems related to intracranial diseases. It may also refer to any "burr" hole created through other body surfaces, including nail beds. It is often used to relieve pressure beneath a surface."  In my assemblage sculpture "Trepanation" I used the concept, which is also known to be used as a sort of quick route to "enlightenment" by some more radical groups, as a metaphor for the act of creation.  As an artist creating a work often seems like pulling the art, bit by bit, from your mind and forming it into whatever media suits it best.  This piece represents that act, the act of removing the art from the artist by force.  It also has a hidden meaning but that meaning just takes all of what I've said a few more steps and it's only known by a handful of people one of which is Devin Marisa a wonderful model I've had the chance to photograph who also owns "Trepanation" now.  The piece reflects my baroque taste as well and my darker sensabilities, two things about me which are not always easy to recognize.  I'm also attaching a photo of Devin from our shoot together.  Hope you enjoy, Joe. 







No comments:

Post a Comment